Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The Homestudy...

The Homestudy process has begun. Our first meeting is on Wednesday. This is actually real this time. What do I mean this time? Well not sure if I ever mentioned it but a few years ago, perhaps the year we moved here, Frank and I had looked into adoption and foster parenting. The kids were excited at the prospect at first. We attended 3 classes, the 4th had been cancelled, and it was at that point that we had decided that we were not ready for that step.

First off the kids had decided that they did not want to share a room with a random kid. Being part of a divorced family, and the crap that they had to endure at the hands of their father's girlfriends and their children over the years, I understood their concerns. So we tabled the idea for awhile. We were not in a financial position at that time either to be able to be able to really afford to make such a lifestyle change.

So fast forward to about a year ago, and the concept popped back into my head. I think the fact that my nest was eminently empty was really turning the wheels this time. So I started thinking about the prospect of adoption and foster parenting. Probably when I really started to settle into my placement at work the path became much clearer. The medical foster parenting really spoke to me, and well here we are.

Frank and I have had this conversation quite a few times now, we have adapted to being on the same page with regard to which types of kids that we think will best fit into our lives see our plan as finally being in a place where there is room for more children, even for children that have major medical needs.

So our goal, is to foster medically fragile children, maybe adopt them. But there is still an idea to adopt a sibling group of nonmedical needs children. I am thinking right now a group of 4 boys would be a trip, since Frank will be the stay at home Dad. Boys would be the best idea.

I do still want another little girl though. I just haven't decided if she will have medical needs or not.

We shall just had to see where the road takes us.

So lots to do this weekend. Cleaning and organizing and getting things set for the Life Safety inspection.

Our plan is to be ready to start accepting placement in May. The daughter has decided that she is going to move in with

No comments:

Post a Comment